One thing Wacoans like to do is dine out. It’s wild really, usually when new restaurant opens, doesn’t it usually take a little while to “catch on” and become profitable? Not in Waco!! New restaurant in town? You can bet it’s packed from the very start (at least for a little while). Sometimes, those restaurants disappear at the speed of light and others, well it takes a while.
Just a couple of days ago I was going to meet my wife for lunch at Mr. Gatti’s on Valley Mills Dr. Wow, it had been a looooooooong time since we ate there. It’s funny though, that’s where we’d always meet for lunch when we first started dating (oh the memories….of me being skinny). Well we both were driving up down Valley Mills Dr. and couldn’t find it!!! Surely it was still open we thought, but lo and behold, nope, it was gone, closed down, not around anymore. Of course, I had to call back to the office to verify. Apparently Mr. Gatti’s had been closed for at least year. I couldn’t believe it! I mean, as a Realtor in Waco, I probably should have known that. I really try to keep up with what’s going on in Waco.
That got me to thinking though. Which restaurants would I like to see in Waco. Restaurants that would be new to the area and those that I’d like to see re-open. Maybe if I “owned” Waco…
- You’re going to laugh at this one…Grandy’s!!! Yeah, I know…. But still, I LOVE Grandy’s. We used to have one, but it closed several years ago. Anyone want to open a franchise? One of these days, I’ll make the trek to Italy, TX during lunch to get my Grandy’s “fix”.
- Spaghetti Warehouse, great Italian food
- Joe’s Crab Shack. I don’t do sea food, but the variety would be cool.
- Bennigan’s. You know, while I’m on the subject of “trendy” places. I’d like to see TGIFriday’s put chicken fried steak back on the menu.
- I’d like to see a Chick-Fil-A in Hewitt
- There’s this pizza place I used to work at when I was in high school called Pantera’s Pizza. It was AWESOME. If I owned Waco, I’d put one in Hewitt. The panther logo would go well with Midway High football. As a matter of fact, when I was in school (PESH Panthers), Pantera’s pizza would ALWAYS be packed on highschool football night after the games. Ahhhh, the memories
- There’s a BBQ place in Mexia called Wright’s Bar-B-Que. It is AWESOME BBQ! If you have a chance, head east on Hwy 84 and you’ll find Wright’s BBQ right when you come into Mexia. I’d love to see it in Waco too. Probably won’t happen though, it’s a small family owned place. The owner is also a preacher and the church is out back. Great BBQ though!
- I’d like to see Krispy Kreme come back.
- It’s too bad that Dickey’s BBQ didn’t work out in Waco. I’d like Waco to have a shot at another one
I like Mexican food as much as the next guy, but it seems there are a TON of Mexican food places opening up! I’m starting to get “Mexican restaurant lag”. Everywhere I turn there’s some new mexican restaurant! Don Carlos, Chipotle, etc… it seems that these “Taco Cabana” or “Taco Casa” type places are opening up everywhere too. In Hewitt, the old Bush’s Chicken location has turned into some mexican restaurant (right across the street from where the Church’s chicken turned into a Mexican restaurant). Please, someone open a Grandy’s! 🙂
Yeah, I know, you’re probably thinking… “That’s the last thing we need is more dang restaurants”!! I see that point, I’d like to see some new retail, business, etc.. come to town, too. But that’s a list for a different day. The “If I Owned Waco” list.
Did I leave out any restaurants? Feel free to leave a comment suggesting some places to eat that I failed to mention.